Word emerged this spring — via bandleader Colin Meloy’s Twitter feed — that R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck would be contributing to The Decemberists’ upcoming sixth album — and we’ve now got photographic evidence, thanks to a series of snapshots posted on R.E.M.’s official site today.
The pictures — taken by Young Fresh Fellow and R.E.M. sideman Scott McCaughey — show Buck recording parts on mandolin, electric guitar and other stringed instruments. According to REMhq.com, Buck joined Meloy and Co. in a barn outside Portland, Ore., for a day earlier this month to record three different songs.
The Decemberists’ album, according to R.E.M.’s site, is due out in February on Capitol Records, and is being produced by Tucker Martine, who also worked with R.E.M. this past May on demos for its own forthcoming album, also expected next year.
See more photos of Peter Buck and The Decemberists after the jump…
Photos: Peter Buck in the studio with The Decemberists, by Scott McCaughey
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- R.E.M.’s ‘Radio Free Europe’ added to National Recording Registry
- R.E.M.’s 2CD ‘Fables of the Reconstruction’ reissue to include 14 demos
- Video: R.E.M.’s Michael Stipe films weird 5-part ‘Tribute to YouTube’
- Milestones: R.E.M. turns 30 today; band made live debut April 5, 1980
- Spin in the ’80s: The Cure, R.E.M., Morrissey, The Replacements and much more
- Bill Berry plays ‘Crazy Like a Fox’ cover on R.E.M.’s new fan club Christmas single
- Video: Michael Stipe shoots iPhone clips of R.E.M. in the recording studio