In a cryptic tweet late Sunday night, Jane’s Addiction frontman Perry Farrell hinted that ex-Guns N’ Roses member Duff McKagan — who joined the alt-rockers earlier this year to replace on-again, off-again bassist Eric Avery — may have parted ways with the famously volatile band.
Without elaborating, Farrell tweeted: “Jane’s wishes Duff much luck with his band Loaded. What a fun time we all had working together. Look out for his record and tour this fall.”
McKagan quietly joined Jane’s Addiction early this past year, with the band confirming his role in March by releasing photos of the bassist playing them prior to an appearance at Farrell’s 51st birthday party in March. In May, McKagan made a more formal debut at a Jane’s show in May and reportedly spent time recording with the band.
While neither Jane’s Addiction nor McKagan have announced any separation on their respective websites, McKagan does use much of his most recent column in the Seattle Weekly to write about recording a new album with his band Loaded this past summer and his desire “to find Loaded a label home.” Making no mention of Jane’s, McKagan also writes, “It is time to start routing a (Loaded) tour for next spring and summer.”
UPDATE 9/8/10: Yes, it’s true. Billboard confirms the split, saying the band released a statement in which they said, “We love the songs we worked on with him — and the gigs were a blast — but musically we were all headed in different directions. From here Duff is off to work on his own stuff so we wish him all the best.”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Jane’s Addiction’s final U.S. concert with Eric Avery on ‘Live Voodoo’ DVD, Blu-ray
- Video: Jane’s Addiction plays ‘Ain’t No Right’ with Duff McKagan on Cinco de Mayo
- Video: Jane’s Addiction debuts new song, ‘Soulmate,’ with Duff McKagan in L.A.
- Video: Jane’s Addiction makes public debut with bassist Duff McKagan
- Bassist Eric Avery quits Jane’s Addiction again, ‘with equal parts regret and relief’
- Vintage Video: Jane’s Addiction rehearses ‘Chip Away’ for ‘SNL’ in 1997
- Perry Farrell: Jane’s Addiction’s ‘Gift’ film coming out on DVD this year