The long-planned triple-bass supergroup Freebass — which already lost Andy Rourke of The Smiths earlier this summer — has imploded on the eve of the belated CD release of its debut album, with Gary “Mani” Mounfield of The Stone Roses unloading on Peter Hook via Twitter.
The band posted a statement on its official Thursday announcing the break-up, saying, “Recent events have made Freebass entirely unviable as a band, and with this in mind, it has been decided that the project should be shelved, rather than placed on hiatus while members pursue their other interests.”
The real fireworks, though, came on Twitter, where Mounfield — who has since deleted his @maniscream account — accused Hook of profiting off the death of his former Joy Division bandmate Ian Curtis (the bassist has been playing Unknown Pleasures on tour) and announced he would be devoting his own musical energies to Primal Scream full time.
According to The Guardian, here’s a selection of Mani’s Hook-slamming tweets:
“3 things visible from space, great wall of china, peter hooks wallet stuffed with ian Curtis blood money, man citys empty trophy cabinet!”
“used to adore the man, now he’s a self centred sellout reduced to hawking his mates corpse around to get paid. And he can’t play”
“either personally or professionally. ever wondered why im universally loved, and another manc ex legend in his own mind is despised by most.”
“we were all laughing behind his back watching the stupid wank struggle to do the same old shit he’s done for the last 30 years !!”
After years of talk, Freebass finally emerged earlier this year, releasing its debut EP, Two Worlds Collide, in March, followed by a full-length album, It’s a Beautiful Life, in April. Both were issued digitally, but Two Worlds Collide has since come out on CD and It’s a Beautiful Life is due out on CD in the U.K. on Sept. 20 and in the U.S. in December.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Peter Hook bringing Joy Division ‘Unknown Pleasures’ tour to U.S., Australia
- The Smiths’ Andy Rourke no longer with Peter Hook’s Freebass supergroup
- Video: Peter Hook plays ‘Unknown Pleasures’ in tribute to Joy Division’s Ian Curtis
- Freebass — Peter Hook, Mani, Andy Rourke — releases debut, ‘It’s a Beautiful Life’
- Peter Hook plans Joy Division set at FAC251, ‘Unknown Pleasures’ spoken-word tour
- Peter Hook’s Freebass releases ‘Two Worlds Collide’ EP, sets live debut
- Peter Hook’s Freebass finishes first album, preps debut EP ‘Two Worlds Collide’