Last Friday night, a half-dozen local bands gathered at the Outland Ballroom in Springfield, Mo., to play some of their favorite Pixies songs, an otherwise run-of-the-mill tribute night except for one thing: Pixies frontman Black Francis and his wife, former Springfielder Violet Clark, returned the favor, sending along their own video tribute saluting the midwestern city.
In the clip posted above, uploaded yesterday to Francis’ YouTube channel, the duo — who perform together as Grand Duchy — and their children offer a goofy and somewhat nonsensical tribute to both Springfield and the Pixies, with a montage of clips set to the Pixies’ “U-Mass” (including shots of Brad Pitt, who grew up there), a tip of the hat to Springfield-style cashew chicken and a bit of Francis performing the Pixies’ “Cactus” — much of it filmed, apparently, with an iPhone.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Download: Pixies’ full 2004 Coachella reunion set for free
- Pixies play marathon set in Santiago, Chile, to celebrate rescue
- Pixies planning concerts in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Chile this October
- Pixies cancel first-ever Israel concert after last week’s deadly Gaza flotilla raid
- Pixies bringing ‘Doolittle’ 20th anniversary tour back to U.S. in September
- Vintage Video: Pixies play ‘Doolittle’ tracks ‘Dead,’ ‘I Bleed’ for ‘Snub TV’ in 1989