Not surprising, but Slicing Up Eyeballs readers really like The Cure: The band dominates this year’s list of most-viewed stories, claiming five of the top 10 spots — including the No. 1 position, occupied for the second year in a row by our initial 2009 report on this year’s 3CD deluxe reissue of Disintegration.
That Oct. 8, 2009, post is, in fact, the most-viewed story ever in the nearly two-year history of the site, and this year it racked up nearly twice the number of pageviews as the No. 2 entry on our list, an equally historic moment for many of our readers: the reunion of Alan Wilder and Depeche Mode on stage in London this past February.
The rest of the Top 10 includes five entries that relate, one way or another, to The Cure, plus items on new video of 1995’s David Bowie/Nine Inch Nails tour (clips that are no longer available, unfortunately), INXS re-teaming with J.D. Fortune, a cameo by Peter Murphy in “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse” and another 2009 hold-over, this one about Martin Gore getting subpoenaed in a “World of Warcraft” lawsuit (it was No. 10 last year).
All told, nearly a half-million people from 191 countries — including that one person in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, that Google says dropped by briefly on Dec. 9 — viewed more than 1.2 million pages on the site over the course of 2010. So thanks everybody for reading these past 12 months — it’s been a fun year, and 2011 should be even bigger and better.
See the Top 10 most-viewed stories of the year after the jump…
Slicing Up Eyeballs’ most-viewed stories of 2010:
1. The Cure’s ‘Disintegration’ gets 3CD deluxe reissue in 2010 (10/8/09)
2. Video: Alan Wilder joins Depeche Mode on stage in London (2/17/10)
3. Video: David Bowie and NIN’s Trent Reznor perform together in 1995 (8/3/10)
4. Martin Gore of Depeche Mode subpoenaed in ‘World of Warcraft’ lawsuit (11/24/09)
5. Spin in the ’80s: The Cure, R.E.M., Morrissey, The Replacements and more (3/16/10)
6. INXS re-enlists ‘Rock Star’ winner J.D. Fortune for summer gig (4/23/10)
7. Download: Crystal Castles featuring Robert Smith of The Cure, ‘Not In Love’ (10/28/10)
8. Video: The Cure plays early version of ‘A Forest’ with alternate lyrics (4/6/10)
9. Audio: The Cure’s ‘Delirious Night,’ unreleased ‘Disintegration’-era demo (4/27/10)
10. Bauhaus’ Peter Murphy appearing in ‘Eclipse,’ preps ‘Ninth’ solo album (6/22/10)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS