Indie-rock powerhouse Dinosaur Jr will reissue its 1988 album Bug for the second time in six years later this month — but rather than a tricked-out CD stuffed with bonus material, this edition will be pressed on a super-limited, hand-numbered purple cassette, the band announced today.
The album, the band’s third and last with original bassist Lou Barlow until 2007’s Beyond, originally was released on cassette by SST Records. The new reissue, on “high quality purple tape with eight-panel original artwork,” will be released June 21 by Joyful Noise Recordings. The band’s publicist notes it’s not only Dinosaur Jr’s first cassette reissue, “Hell, as far as we can tell, this is the first ever cassette reissue of any album originally released on the format.”
Only 250 copies of the Bug cassette are being pressed; 125 will be sold for $12 apiece via Joyful Noise’s website, and the other 125 will be sold during Dinosaur Jr’s upcoming tour, during which the band will perform Bug in its entirety at at seven U.S. shows and eight European concerts (see dates below).
See Dinosaur Jr’s ‘Bug’ tour dates after the jump…
Dinosaur Jr Bug tour dates:
June 21: Calvin Theatre, Northampton, MA
June 22: The Paradise, Boston, MA
June 23: Terminal 5, New York City, NY
June 24: Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA
June 25: 9:30 Club, Washington, D.C.
June 26: Variety Playhouse, Atlanta, GA
June 27: Cat’s Cradle, Carrboro, N.C.
July 1: Don’t Look Back, Alexandra Palace, London
July 2: Gaite Lyrique, Paris, France
July 3: Ferrara Sotto Le Stelle, Ferrara, Italy
July 4: Magnolia, Milan, Italy
July 5: Rivierenhof, Antwerp, Belgium
July 7: Tavasita Club, Helsinki, Finland
July 8: Gota Kallare, Stockholm, Sweden
July 9: Rockefeller Music Hall, Oslo, Norway
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Dinosaur Jr to perform 1988’s ‘Bug’ at five East Coast concerts this summer
- Stream: Hear J Mascis’ ‘Several Shades of Why’ in its entirety
- Free MP3: Dinosaur Jr’s J Mascis, ‘It Is Done,’ off ‘Several Shades of Why’
- J Mascis sets 22-date North American solo tour for ‘Several Shades of Why’
- Free MP3: Dinosaur Jr’s J Mascis, ‘Not Enough,’ off ‘Several Shades of Why’
- Dinosaur Jr’s J Mascis to release acoustic album ‘Several Shades of Why’ in March
- Dinosaur Jr to play ‘Bug’ at Don’t Look Back concert with Flaming Lips in London