Sonic Youth is no stranger to guitar thefts, and Thurston Moore has been victimized again. He reports via the band’s Facebook page that his “iconic” circa-1966, decal-encrusted black Fender Jazzmaster was stolen from a Best Western hotel at 501 N. 22nd St. in Philadelphia around midnight last night, 12/12/12. Moore asks that guitar shops be on the lookout for someone trying to sell the instrument, and that people forward the photo posted above to any local instrument dealers.
Moore’s full statement:
Hi — Thurston Moore had his 1966 (circa) Fender Jazzmaster stolen from the Best Western in Philadelphia (501 N 22nd St) last night 12-12-12 around 12 midnight. It’s Thurston’s iconic Sonic Youth black Jazzmaster with all the stickers on its body. Here’s a couple of photos. A police report has been filed. Please email us if anyone tries to sell this relic to yur store, it would be appreciated. Please forward to other guitar stores you may know in the area.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Sonic Youth to release ‘Smart Bar – Chicago 1985’ archival live album in November
- Sonic Youth prepping ’85 live album, unseen ’86 concert film, possible ‘Sister’ reissue
- Video: Thurston Moore covers Rolling Stones, Lee Ranaldo covers Talking Heads
- Lee Ranaldo on Sonic Youth: ‘Somehow I can’t imagine it’s really the end of it’
- Video: Sonic Youth in Sao Paulo, Brazil — watch what could be band’s final concert