The Replacements — namely Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson — this evening teased Songs For Slim, their much-anticipated reunion project, announced last year as four-song, ultra-limited, vinyl-only covers EP that was to be auctioned off to raise money to help pay for the medical expenses of former bandmate Slim Dunlap, who suffered a debilitating stroke last year
The band launched a website and Facebook page for the project, which debuted what appears to be the cover artwork. The website itself has not real content yet. Stinson also posted the cover art on Facebook, writing, “Go ‘Like’ the Songs For Slim page if this interests you at all…”
No further details about the project have been announced.
Westerberg last fall offered details to Rolling Stone, and left the door open to a more expansive reunion: “It’s possible. After playing with Tommy last week, I was thinking, ‘All right, let’s crank it up and knock out a record like this.’ I’m closer to it now than I was two years ago, let’s say that.”
According to Rolling Stone, Westerberg and Stinson spent a day together last month in a Minneapolis studio recording covers of Dunlap’s “Busted Up,” “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” from the Broadway hit “Gypsy,” Gordon Lightfoot’s “I’m Not Sayin’” and Hank Williams’ “Lost Highway.” The tracks will be pressed on 10-inch vinyl, and all 250 copies will be auctioned off.
‘Mats drummer Chris Mars didn’t want to participate — he’s already recorded his own benefit track — so the lineup was rounded out by drummer Peter Anderson and guitarist Kevin Bowe.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Stream: ‘Color Me Obsessed: A Film About The Replacements’ — full 2-hour documentary
- The Replacements reunite to record vinyl-only covers EP, new album ‘possible’
- Free MP3: Paul Westerberg, ‘My Road Now’ — ex-Replacement’s first new song in 2 years
- ‘Color Me Obsessed: A Film About The Replacements’ coming to DVD this fall
- Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson team up to help ex-Replacements bandmate Slim Dunlap
- Slim Dunlap, guitarist for The Replacements, recovering from stroke, is ‘sharp and aware’
- Paul Westerberg releases 3 new songs as ‘Mr. F’ in 7-inch vinyl/digital download combo
- Paul Westerberg releasing ‘PW & The Ghost Gloves Cat Wing Joy Boys’ EP
- Tommy Stinson on Replacements reunion: ‘I just don’t know if we have it in us’
Looks like Chris Mars did the artwork.
That is definitely Chris Mars’ artwork on the cover – I am
also pretty sure his solo tribute to Slim is included on this