At exactly 10:37 p.m. MST on Feb. 20, 2009, Slicing Up Eyeballs launched so very inauspiciously, with just a simple 91-word post announcing plans to provide “the latest info on new albums, reissues, upcoming reunions and tour dates.”
Exactly four years — and 3,163 more posts — later, this site has become so much more than that, leading to four hours of weekly programming on Sirius XM Satellite Radio and Strangeways Radio, a monthly mixtape series, a just-launched, year-long Best of the ’80s poll and more.
As I’ve written before, what started as a late-night labor of love — I figured I’d write about the music I know and love, and see if anybody else cared — has turned into a serious undertaking, with the site pulling in 3.9 million visits and 6.4 million pageviews over the past four years.
It turns out that other people do, in fact, care, which is why I’m keenly aware that any success I’ve had with Slicing Up Eyeballs is due entirely to those of you who visit the site every day, subscribe via e-mail or RSS, or follow along on Facebook, Twitter or other social media outlets.
So, once again, thank you so much for stopping by and helping celebrate this great musical era.
— Matt Sebastian, founder/editor
Oh, and if you’re a fan of what we’re doing here, there are ways to help spread the word:
- Go “like” us on Facebook and share posts with your friends.
- If you’re on Twitter, follow us there, too. Retweet the good stuff.
- If you tumble, we’re also on Tumblr. Reblogging is fun.
- Doing the Google+ thing? So are we. Put us in your circle, and hit us with some +1s.
- Into Pinterest? We’re pinning stuff, too, so follow us and pin/repin our stuff.
- Or just get a free Slicing Up Eyeballs sticker and stick it on something. Here’s how.