We’re still more than a month out from the release of The Mission’s reunion album The Brightest Light, but the band this week premiered the first full track off the record: “Drag,” a song bandleader Wayne Hussey describes as a “throwaway” blues rocker that was so fun to play and record that he ended up finding a place or it on the album.
In fact, when the band announced The Brightest Light — due out Sept. 17 in North America and Sept. 20 in the U.K. — last month, “Drag” was not included in the 11-song tracklist. Now, though, it occupies the No. 4 slot on the record, which now boasts 12 songs (see full tracklist plus bonus disc info below).
You can listen to the full track below via Artist Direct, where it premiered Tuesday.
Hussey told the website:
“‘Drag’ was a bit of a throwaway actually, just a basic three-chord, 12-bar blues rocker that was never really intended for the album, written just after I’d seen a Robert Plant show in Sao Paulo earlier this year. I don’t think we’ve ever done something quite as basic as this before but it was fun to play and record. And the end result ended up being better than any of us expected so it warrants its place on the album by virtue of that fact. Key line for me is: ‘So if I leave it all up to you, nostalgia is all we’d have to look forward to…'”
Produced by David M. Allen — who has worked with The Cure, Depeche Mode, Wire and The Sisters of Mercy — The Brightest Light is the Mission’s first new album since 2007′s God Is a Bullet and the first to find Hussey joined by original members Simon Hinkler and Craig Adams since 1990′s Carved In Sand.
The band is set to embark on its first North American tour in more than a decade next month.
The Mission, “Drag”
Tracklist: The Mission, The Brightest Light: Deluxe Edition
1. “Black Cat Bone”
2. “Everything But The Squeal”
3. “Sometimes The Brightest Light Comes From The Darkest Place”
5. “Born Under A Good Sign”
6. “The Girl In The Furskin Rug”
7. “When The Trap Clicks Shut Behind Us”
8. “Ain’t No Prayer In The Bible Can Save Me Now”
9. “Just Another Pawn In Your Game”
10. “From The Oyster Comes The Pearl”
11. “Swan Song”
12. “Litany For The Faithful”
1. “I’m Fallin’ Again”
2. “The Long Way Round Is Sometimes The Only Way Home”
3. “The Girl In The Furskin Rug” (Wayne Hussey demo)
4. “Born Under A Good Sign” (Wayne Hussey demo)
5. “Black Cat Bone” (Wayne Hussey demo)
6. “From The Oyster Comes The Pearl” (Wayne Hussey demo)
7. “When The Trap Clicks Shut Behind Us” (Wayne Hussey demo)
8. “Ain’t No Prayer In The Bible Can Save Me Now” (Wayne Hussey demo with Erica Nockalls)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Mission teases fans with ‘The Brightest Light’ album sampler — stream now
- The Mission to release ‘The Brightest Light’ following U.S. tour this September
- The Mission begin work on new album, sign deal with U.S. label for September release
- The Mission unveils first U.S. tour in 11 years — plus U.K. dates with Fields of the Nephilim
- The Mission to mark 25th anniversary reunion tour with ‘Silver’ 3-disc CD/DVD set
- The Mission to reunite for 25th anniversary concert in London next October