Trawling through the vast pixel mine that is YouTube, we recently stumbled across this short, odd MTV promo from 1988 that appears to be filmed at a college radio station, and concludes, after a series of fly-by imagery, with a long-haired gentleman sagely proclaiming, “When I’m an old person, I think I’ll still be listening to R.E.M.” Well said, future-seeing college-radio guy.
Watch it below via uploader Kevin Noonan.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- R.E.M.’s ‘Automatic For the People’ to receive 25th anniversary reissue this fall
- R.E.M.’s Michael Stipe to debut rare solo music as part of Moogfest audiovisual project
- Michael Stipe performs rare, unannounced solo set opening for Patti Smith in New York
- Watch: Michael Stipe looks back on 30 years of R.E.M., vows to never reunite band
- R.E.M. to release 14 hours of live material, TV appearances in 6-DVD ‘REMTV’ box
Heh. I remember that one. I thought it was kind of corny and self-important at the time…but hey, guess who’s still listening to Lifes Rich Pageant? Thirty years later? :p
Also: I remember being thrilled that they show the We’ve Got a Fuzzbox and We’re Gonna Use It album cover in that spot. One of my favorite records from 1986!
LOL. I had forgotten all about that one but at the time didn’t think too much about it because, yeah, I figured I’d still be listening to R.E.M. way down the road too and I am…as well as The Pogues,talking Heads, The Cure, World Party, Eurythmics, English Beat, Midnight Oil…the list goes on.
Still listening to REM, but sure as hell NOT watching MTV. Funny how that worked out.
Amen to that!