Simple Minds this week announced plans to release a new album called Walk Between Worlds in February — the band’s first collection of new songs since 2014’s Big Music — and premiere the material at special three-part concerts in the U.K. and Europe following the record’s release.
The eight-song album (a deluxe edition adds two more songs and a live cut) is due out Feb. 2 via BMG, and is produced by Simple Minds with Andy Wright and Gavin Goldberg, both of whom worked on Big Music.
According to the band’s announcement of the album, it has two distinct sides, with one featuring songs that “revisit the glassy guitars and new wave dance grooves of the post-punk era” and the other exploring “more cinematic sounds.” The album’s closing track, “Sense of Discovery,” features a refrain that “alludes to 1985’s ‘Alive and Kicking,'” according to the band.
Simple Minds will debut the new material with six special concerts in February. The band — led by Jim Kerr and Charlie Burchill — will perform the full album, then sit for a live on-stage interview, before closing it out with a “classic Simple Minds set” that will find the band “further re-imagining and exploring” its catalog.
The band has not announced any North American dates, and it’s not know if it will. Though still a fairly active touring act, Simple Minds have only toured stateside twice since 2002.
Below, check out the album’s tracklist and cover art (and a short trailer), plus current tour dates.
Tracklist: Simple Minds, Walk Between Worlds
4. “The Signal and The Noise”
5. “In Dreams”
6. “Barrowland Star”
7. “Walk Between Worlds”
8. “Sense Of Discovery”
Deluxe Edition bonus tracks:
1. “Silent Kiss”
2. “Angel Underneath My Skin”
3. “Dirty Old Town” (Live)
Simple Minds tour dates:
Feb. 13: Barrowland; Glasgow, UK
Feb. 14: Albert Hall; Manchester, UK
Feb. 15: Roundhouse; London, UK
Feb. 17: Salle Pleyel, Paris, France
Feb. 18: Ancienne Belgique, Brussels, Belgium
Feb. 19: Paradiso, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Feb. 20: Vega, Copenhagen, Denmark
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Simple Minds’ ‘Sparkle in the Rain’ to be reissued as hugely expanded 5-disc box set
- Simple Minds to release new album ‘Big Music’ in November, announce big European tour
- Simple Minds complete first new album in 5 years, debut new track ‘Blindfolded’
- Jim Kerr: Simple Minds eyeing return to North America ‘for more shows next summer’
- Jim Kerr to Simple Minds fans: ‘We still need to have a lot more people’ at New York show
- Jim Kerr to Simple Minds’ U.S. fans: Come see us this fall if you ever want us to come back
- Simple Minds announce rare, 7-date North American tour — first in 11 years