Source: @Johnny_Marr on Twitter
Fans were thrilled to see Johnny Marr rejoin the The The fold for the band’s comeback single last year, but the ex-Smiths guitarist did not join Matt Johnson’s touring band for its first concert dates in 16 years this summer — presumably as he had his own album to promote.
Well, their paths finally converged onstage tonight at London’s Roundhouse, as Johnson joined his lifelong friend and onetime The The bandmate to perform a cover of the Lovin’ Spoonful’s classic 1966 single “Summer in the City.” It was their first time onstage together in 25 years.
Marr currently is on tour in Europe supporting his third solo album, Call the Comet.
Below, check out fan-shot video of “Summer in the City” via themaltman.
Thank you to my friend Matt Johnson for singing with me at The Roundhouse. First time on stage together for 25 years. @thethe pic.twitter.com/sDuuI7oEKh
— Johnny Marr (@Johnny_Marr) November 12, 2018
What a night & what a gig – that @Johnny_Marr knows how to play 🎸 Another brilliant one in @RoundhouseLDN with special guest @thethe #MattJohnson singing Summer In The City 😍🤘🏼 pic.twitter.com/pdXahOMrQb
— s҉O҉O҉z҉ (@soozworld) November 12, 2018
When Matt Johnson of @thethe turns up at an already brilliant @Johnny_Marr gig! pic.twitter.com/rSY1U5XMCe
— LAURA (@modestlaura) November 12, 2018
Another evening to remember spent in the company of @Johnny_Marr @IGronow @jackthesticks @Thedoviak !! And a special appearance by Matt Johnson @thethe !! 3hr coach home now 😳 pic.twitter.com/2PsRJAwBbv
— Matthew Clow (@Clowy16) November 12, 2018
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Listen: Johnny Marr debuts Smiths-esque ‘Hi Hello’ — second single off ‘Call the Comet’
- The Smiths’ ‘The Queen is Dead’ 3CD/1DVD reissue to include unreleased 1986 live album
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: Johnny Marr gets his post-Smiths spotlight in 1987
- The The re-enlists Johnny Marr on first new single in 10 years for Record Store Day
- Johnny Marr to publish autobiography in 2016: ‘The time has come to tell my story’