Photo by Steve Gullick
As we reported earlier this month, the Throwing Muses will release Sun Racket — their 10th studio album, and first in seven years — on the Fire Records label this May. Now you can get your first taste of Kristin Hersh and Co.’s new music in the form of lead-off single and album opener “Dark Blue,” a gnarled rocker that you can stream below.
The 10-song album is due out May 22 and is the follow-up to 2013’s 32-song epic Purgatory/Paradise.
The band — Hersh, drummer David Narcizo and bassist Bernard Georges — were in the studio last year when they played their first shows in five years, a handful of concerts and a slot handpicked by Robert Smith at The Cure’s Pasadena Daydream Festival outside the Rose Bowl in Southern California.
In a news release announcing the new album, Hersh discuses the album’s sonic imprint:
“All it asked of us was to commingle two completely disparate sonic vocabularies: one heavy noise, the other delicate music box. Turns out we didn’t have to do much. ‘Sun Racket’ knew what it was doing and pushed us aside, which is always best. After 30 years of playing together, we trust each other implicitly but we trust the music more.”
Below, hear the first single “Dark Blue” and check out the full tracklist.
Throwing Muses, Sun Racket
1. “Dark Blue”
3. “Maria Laguna”
4. “Bo Diddley Bridge”
5. “Milk At McDonald’s”
6. “Upstairs Dan”
7. “St. Charles”
9. “Kay Catherine”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Throwing Muses to release ‘Sun Racket’ — band’s first album in 7 years — in May
- Throwing Muses recording new album, announce first concerts in 5 years
- The Cure enlists Pixies, Deftones, Mogwai, Throwing Muses for Pasadena Daydream Festival
- Listen: Kristin Hersh, ‘No Shade In Shadow’ — off forthcoming album ‘Possible Dust Clouds’
- Listen: Kristin Hersh debuts ‘LAX’ — first taste of forthcoming album ‘Possible Dust Clouds’
- Watch: Kristin Hersh and Tanya Donelly reunite onstage for a little ‘Two Step’ in Boston
- Watch a 9-song Throwing Muses performance filmed at Seattle’s Triple Door last year