Matt Johnson last weekend released a new 7-inch by The The for the first of three Record Store Day “drops,” a single called “I Want 2 B U” that calls to mind “This Is the Day” because Johnson wrote and recorded it with the “quirky Omnichord instrument” he used on that 1983 classic.
The 7-inch was a quick sell-out, and the song has not been released digitally — though it has now been uploaded to YouTube, and you can hear that right here.
The new song and its B-side, “Velvet Muscle Scream,” are both taken from the film “Muscle,” directed by Gerard Johnson. The vinyl single features artwork by Johnson’s late brother Andy Dog, who designed all of the sleeves for the early The The albums and singles.
The single follows The The’s 2017 Record Store Day release of “We Can’t Stop What’s Coming,” which at the time was the group’s first new music in a decade and foreshadowed the band’s live return in 2018.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The The to release new single ‘I WANT 2 B U’ for Record Store Day — listen to preview
- The The’s Matt Johnson joins Johnny Marr to sing Lovin’ Spoonful’s ‘Summer in the City’
- The The plays first show in 16 years, opens ‘Comeback Special’ with career-spanning set
- The The expands reunion tour with 3 ‘very low-key’ U.K. warm-up concerts in May
- The The announces new 3-disc ‘Radio Cineola Trilogy’ box set, first concerts in 16 years
- Watch: The The’s emotional new music video for ‘We Can’t Stop What’s Coming’
- The The re-enlists Johnny Marr on first new single in 10 years for Record Store Day