Back in May, we brought you initial news of Peter Gabriel’s plans for a multi-format, belated 25th anniversary reissue of his classic 1986 record So — and now comes word that, as part of that reissue, the album will be the subject of an 8-disc “Immersion” box set featuring four CDs, two DVDs, two vinyl records and a 60-page book.
Gabriel has yet to announce tracklists or specific details of any of the So formats — looks like that may be happening next week — but, as SuperDeluxeEdition notes, a Amazon.com is now a listing a $147 So: 25th Anniversary Immersion Box similar to the comprehensive Pink Floyd “Immersion” sets issued in recent years. The voluminous So box set promises at least two previously unreleased songs plus what appears to be a disc full of demos.
According to Amazon, the set — due out Oct. 23 — will include:
- Remastered So album on CD.
- Live in Athens 1987, a 2CD set that’s presumably the audio from the previously mentioned re-edited, full-length version of the Martin Scorsese-produced concert film “PoV.”
- So DNA CD, which “gives a unique insight into the writing and recording of So, experienced via a track-by-track evolutionary process leading you from the early moments when rhythms, melodies and lyrical ideas were discovered through the various stages of song development and recording.”
- “Live in Athens 1987” on DVD, directed by Michael Chapman and executive produced by Scorsese. According to Amazon, “This was the first filmed Peter Gabriel concert, now fully restored and pieced together from over 150 reels of original 35mm negatives and remixed in 5.1, this concert is made available for the first time on DVD.”
- “So: Classic Albums” documentary on DVD. The latest in the “Classic Albums” series “features contributions from many of those involved in the album and videos, with interviews with Peter Gabriel, co-producer Daniel Lanois and many more.”
- So on 180-gram audiophile vinyl “mastered at half speed to maximize the audio quality and the track listing, unlike the original, is that favoured by the artist.”
- Double A-side 12-inch vinyl single featuring two previously unreleased tracks, “Courage” and “Sagrada,” plus an alternative piano mix of “Don’t Give Up.”
- 60-page book including an introduction and So DNA summary by Gabriel, new liner notes and an extensive collection of rare and never-before-seen photographs.
Amazon also shows single-disc and 3CD editions of the So reissue due out Oct. 23 — a delay from the originally announced Sept. 18 release date — as well as a standalone release of “So: Classic Albums” documentary on both DVD and Blu-ray, with those still slated for a Sept. 18 release.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Peter Gabriel to release restored ‘Secret World Live’ on DVD, Blu-ray — watch ‘Steam’
- Peter Gabriel announces ‘So’ box set reissue, North American ‘Back to Front’ tour
- Peter Gabriel seeking fan input, re-editing ‘PoV’ concert film for ‘So’ reissue in 2012
- Video: Peter Gabriel and the New Blood Orchestra play full concert on Letterman
- Peter Gabriel reissuing ‘So’ with bonus mixes, demos, new artwork for 25th anniversary