Fans of The Lemonheads hoping to see a reunion of Evan Dando and the band’s former bassist Juliana Hatfield during the group’s current tour opening for The Psychedelic Furs are in for disappointment: Hatfield is not on the tour after all.
A fan who attended Saturday’s show in Chicago — the second night of the tour with the Furs — tells Slicing Up Eyeballs that no mention of her absence was made, although Dando finally responded to a fan’s shout of “Where’s Juliana?” with the simple retort: “She’s in Boston.”
While the Lemonheads’ website bears no mention of the lineup change — the dates are still listed as “The Lemonheads featuring Juliana Hatfield” — Hatfield herself announced the news earlier this month on Twitter: “i hate to have to say this but due to unforeseen circumstances i won’t be able to join the lemonheads on bass this month as planned. so sorry”
The Lemonheads are touring with the Psychedelic Furs through late October (see dates below), and, after that, Dando has four acoustic duo shows with Hatfield lined up in Australia this December, according to the Lemonheads’ website.
Dando also is working on a new Lemonheads album with Ryan Adams handling production duties and drums. Adams last month tweeted that the record would feature both Hatfield and the band’s co-founder and original co-songwriter, Ben Deily of Varsity Drag, who left in 1989.
The Psychedelic Furs with The Lemonheads tour dates:
Oct. 17: Royal Oak Music Theatre, Royal Oak, MI
Oct. 19: Keswick Theatre, Glenside, PA
Oct. 20: The Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY
Oct. 21: Best Buy Theater, New York, NY
Oct. 22: Howard Theater, Washington, D.C.
Oct. 24: Orange Peel, Asheville, N.C.
Oct. 25: Variety Playhouse, Atlanta, GA
Oct. 27: State Theater, St. Petersburg, FL
Oct. 28: Grand Central, Miami, FL
Oct. 29: House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Oct. 30: Jack Rabbits, Jacksonville, FL (Lemonheads only)
Nov. 1: Capitol Theatre, York, PA (Lemonheads only)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Lemonheads reissuing first 3 albums — ‘Hate Your Friends,’ ‘Creator,’ ‘Lick’ — in 2013
- Ryan Adams producing Lemonheads reunion album that goes ‘back to the punker sounds’
- Juliana Hatfield rejoins The Lemonheads for fall U.S. dates with The Psychedelic Furs
- The Lemonheads to play ‘It’s a Shame About Ray’ on fall tours of North America, U.K.
- The Lemonheads’ Evan Dando plans 5-week solo tour of the U.S. early next year
- Evan Dando’s Lemonheads to release Gibby Haynes-produced covers album, tour U.S.