The four discs’ worth of Kate Bush rarities, B-sides, remixes and cover versions that filled out the back half of last year’s second CD box set of the singer’s reissued catalog will get their own separate release next month in a new box set called The Other Sides.
The four-disc box set, due out March 8, is being billed as the “final physical installment of the definitive catalog remastering project,” thought it solely contains material released on last year’s CD Box 2.
The new set features a disc of 12-inch mixes, two discs of rarities — including “Brazil,” from the “Brazil” film soundtrack, “Lyra” from the film “The Golden Compass,” “Be Kind To My Mistakes” from “Castaway” and “Humming,” an early demo — plus a fourth disc of covers that includes Bush’s recordings of Elton John’s “Rocket Man” and “Candle In The Wind,” and George and Ira Gershwin’s “The Man I Love.”
The material on The Other Sides was released on vinyl as the Remastered in Vinyl IV box set last year.
In conjunction with the release of the box set, Bush has shared the officials video for “Rocket Man.”
She writes about that cover, and its video, on her website:
I remember buying this when it came out as a single by Elton John. I couldn’t stop playing it – I loved it so much. Most artists in the mid seventies played guitar but Elton played piano and I dreamed of being able to play like him.
Years later in 1989, Elton and Bernie Taupin were putting together an album called Two Rooms, which was a collection of cover versions of their songs, each featuring a different singer. To my delight they asked me to be involved and I chose Rocket Man. They gave me complete creative control and although it was a bit daunting to be let loose on one of my favourite tracks ever, it was really exciting. I wanted to make it different from the original and thought it could be fun to turn it into a reggae version. It meant a great deal to me that they chose it to be the first single release from the album.
That meant I also had the chance to direct the video which I loved doing – making it a performance video, shot on black and white film, featuring all the musicians and… the Moon!
Alan Murphy played guitars on the track. He was a truly special musician and a very dear friend. Tragically, he died just before we made the video so he wasn’t able to be there with us but you’ll see his guitar was placed on an empty chair to show he was there in spirit.
This is the first time this video has officially been released since its original TV broadcast.
See the full tracklist for The Other Sides.
Kate Bush, The Other Sides
Disc 1: 12-Inch Mixes
1. “Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)”
2. “The Big Sky” (Metereological Mix)
3. “Cloudbusting” (The Organon Mix)
4. “Hounds Of Love” (Alternative Mix)
5. “Experiment IV” (Extended Mix)
Disc 2: The Other Side 1
1. “Walk Straight Down The Middle”
2. “You Want Alchemy”
3. “Be Kind To My Mistakes”
5. “Under The Ivy”
6. “Experiment 1V”
7. “Ne t’enfuis pas”
8. “Un baiser d’enfant”
9. “Burning Bridge”
10. “Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)” (2012 Remix)
Disc 3: The Other Side 2
1. “Home For Christmas”
2. “One Last Look Around The House Before We Go…”
3. “I’m Still Waiting””
4. “Warm And Soothing”
5. “Show A Little Devotion”
6. “Passing Through The Air”
8. “Ran Tan Waltz”
9. “December Will Be Magic”
10. “Wuthering Heights” (Remix)
Disc 4: In Others’ Words
1. “Rocket Man”
2. “Sexual Healing”
3. “Mna Na Heireann”
4. “My Lagan Love”
5. “The Man I Love”
6. “Brazil (Sam Lowry’s First Dream)”
7. “The Handsome Cabin Boy”
8. “Lord Of The Reedy River”
9. “Candle In The Wind”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Kate Bush’s full catalog remastered in new multi-volume CD, vinyl box sets — with rarities
- Kate Bush to compile selected lyrics in new book ‘How To Be Invisible’
- Kate Bush performs first concert in 35 years: Setlist, photos, video of ‘Cloudbusting’
- Kate Bush asks fans to ‘share in the experience,’ and not film, photograph upcoming shows
- Kate Bush expands London residency to 22 concerts following ‘massive’ ticket demand
- Kate Bush to play 15 concerts in London this summer — first live dates in 35 years
- Kate Bush to release new ‘Running Up That Hill’ remix at close of London Olympics