Midnight Oil is back with its first new music in 17 years, a song called “Gadigal Land” that’s the first single off the group’s forthcoming mini-album The Makarrata Project that was recorded in collaboration with “our First Nations friends.” You can hear the full song below.
The new song features contributions by vocalists Kaleena Briggs, Bunna Lawrie and Dan Sultan plus a lyrical section written and delivered by Gadigal poet Joel Davison.
The Makarrata Project mini-album, previously described as having eight songs, is due out in late October, according to the band. When the new project was announced in February, the Oils said it would be the first of two new albums out this year, with The Makarrata Project arriving in the summer and a full studio album to be released “toward the end of the year.”
The band’s announcement of the new single made no mention of the second album, nor the touring that was planned around each release — but for obvious reasons is now on hold. The band has promised that profits from The Makarrata Project will go to charities “which elevate The Uluru Statement From the Heart.”
The Oils reunited in 2017 for a global tour, the band’s first performances since reuniting for benefit gigs in 2009. The band debuted a new song called “Tarkine” last summer while playing a few gigs before heading into the studio. The new single is the band’s first new music since 2003 benefit single “No Man’s Land.” The Oils’ last album, Capricornia, was released in 2002.
Hear “Gadigal Land” below.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Midnight Oil to release ‘Gadigal Land’ — first new song in 17 years — this week
- Midnight Oil to release 2 new albums this year, tour internationally into 2021
- Midnight Oil debuts new song, performs ‘Diesel and Dust’ in full at Australian concerts
- Midnight Oil continues reunion, announces 2019 concerts in U.K., Europe and Australia
- Midnight Oil details huge new 12-disc box set: Demos, rarities, B-sides, hours of live video
- Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music