Modern English’s Robbie Grey on KEXP
Post-punk mainstays Modern English stopped by Seattle’s KEXP radio station back in June to perform a five-song set that included four tracks earmarked for the band’s next album 1234 — plus their career-defining 1982 smash “I Melt With You.”
The set recently was posted to YouTube, and you can watch the performance — and an interview — below.
Modern English last month announced an 18-date U.S. tour that starts later this summer. Additionally, frontman Robbie Grey and bassist Mick Conroy recently co-hosted Sirius XM’s “Dark Wave” with Slicing Up Eyeballs founder Matt Sebastian — and discussed the new album, expected out later this year or early next year.
The album will be the follow-up to 2016’s Take Me to the Trees, the first to feature original members Grey, Conroy, Gary McDowell and Stephen Walker since the 1980s.
The group’s appearance on KEXP was supplanted by drummer Ric Chandler and guitarist Gabriel Sullivan, who was filling in for McDowell. It’s not clear why McDowell didn’t appear.
Modern English, KEXP Studios, Seattle, WA — June 2, 2023
2. “Crazy Lovers”
3. “Long in the Tooth”
4. “I Melt With You”
5. “Not My Leader”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Modern English preps new album “1234,” announces 18-date U.S. tour
- Playlist: Sirius XM’s “Dark Wave” — co-hosted by Modern English (6/11/23)
- Modern English’s Robbie Grey, Mick Conroy to co-host Sunday’s “Dark Wave” on Sirius XM
- Modern English shares new quarantine performance of ‘I Melt With You’
- Modern English cancels North American tour after guitarist undergoes emergency surgery
- Modern English touring U.S. in support of reunion album ‘Take Me To the Trees’
Slicing Up Eyeballs independently selects all releases featured on this site, but we may earn a commission from products purchased through affiliate links. Those commissions help support and fund the site.